Pages

Friday, February 20, 2015

Saucony Zealot Review



What They Say:

OVERVIEW

ISOFIT provides stabilizing support while adapting to the movement of the runner's foot
Enhanced PWRGRID+ platform provides 20% more cushioning and better durability than previous versions

Support Frame adds structure and support in the heel

SPECS

    Shoe Category: Neutral
    Pronation: Neutral
    Cushion: Plush
    Construction Type: Natural Motion
    Surface: Road, Track
    Arch: High, Normal (Mid), Low
    Water Resistant: No
    Waterproof: No
    Offset: 4mm
        Heel Stack Height: 25mm
        Forefoot Stack Height: 21mm


What I Say:

I always preface a review on a Saucony shoe review by stating the Saucony Kinvara remains one of my primary “go to” shoes for enjoying routine runs and on race day. I basically hold the Kinvara as the standard to which all other shoes, Saucony and otherwise, are compared.

With that in mind I was looking forward to getting my feet into a pair of the new Zealot as I have heard there were similarities between the two shoes. While I found positive aspects between the fit and function of the shoes the Zealot is in no way a clone and is separated enough to own its own place in the Saucony line.


My first impressions of the shoe focused on the beautiful ViZiORANGE styling. They were b-r-i-g-h-t! I really appreciate the impact this has on my winter runs where a bit of extra visibility affords some extra safety and peace of mind. Pulling the shoes from the box I was pleased with the lightness of the shoes. I expect there are aspects of the new ibr+ and ISOFIT technologies I cannot fully appreciate but the shoes felt light.

I have complete trust in the wear of the Saucony line so I had no hesitation taking the Zealots out on my next run. As I walked to my starting point the shoes felt wonderfully snug on my feet. The toe box felt a bit roomier than the Kinvara. Not exactly spacious allowance for toe splay, but easily enough room for comfort. Out on the run the shoes felt a bit firm with each foot fall, certainly more so than the Kinvara. But they wore light and as the miles passed I began to appreciate the ISOFIT technology more. This design gives the foot a “sock-liner” feel with no tight or hot spots. I think I could trust this shoe on a longer run but it felt fine into 13 miles.


On my winter trials I cannot speak to the breath-ability of the shoe. But I did find my feet being a bit cool, which attests in a positive likelihood that the shoes would remain cool in warmer temps.

All and all I find the Zealot a good shoe. The wear well, are light, and I do appreciate the firmer sole. And I would love to see the ISOFIT technology in the next version of the Kinvara. I would personally still prefer the bit more flexibility of the Kinvara but the Zealot will remain in my rotation through the coming months. Definitely worth considering. Good job, Saucony!

P.S. I really like this new infographic Saucony provides as a quick summary. Very useful snapshot.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment